Celebrating International Women's day during a pandemic was a challenge. The Womenâ€™s Day was first celebrated in 1909, the symbol of a strong woman, desiring equality, and better opportunities. Women have been at the bottom of the food chain, forced to work twice as hard as any man but given a meager amount of benefits in return. This International Womenâ€™s Day lets break the proverbial shackles of misogyny, chauvinism, and inequality, and stand up for equal rights, integrity, and freedom. Here are our few ways of celebrating womanhood, and honor the ladies and the struggles they have undertaken to reach here.
Top 5 ways to celebrate Women's day
Here is our list of celebrating international women's day:
1) Celebrate the women in your life:
Take your mother, sister, wife, or girlfriend out on a date, or arrange a small intimate evening of fun for them. Gift them a personalized present, or something they had their eyes on for a while. Something as little as getting their favorite ice cream flavor is a celebration of Womenâ€™s Day. Talk to them about the issues they face due to their gender and figure out a way to help them.
2) Read 5 books written by female authors:
For further emphasis, familiarize with literature written by female authors emphasizing the troubles faced by women and how they overcome them. We have curated a list of books to help you get started.
- We should all be Feminists- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Hand Maidâ€™s Tale- Margret Atwood
- A room of oneâ€™s own- Virginia Woolf
- Sexual Politics- Kate Millet
- Women Who Run with the Wolves- Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes
3) Listen to 5 Feminist TED Talks:
If books put you right to sleep then, here are few small conversational TED Talks which sums up the idea:
- Why Iâ€™m done trying to be â€œman enoughâ€- Justin Baldoni
- The political progress women have made and what next- Cecile Richards
- We should all be feminists- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Confessions of a bad feminist- Roxane Gay
- So we leaned inâ€¦now what- Sheryl Sandberg
Follow Gift A Place on Instagram
4) Netflix documentaries:
the TED Talk got you all pumped up to know more about the equal rights movement, then here is a list of few documentaries that show centuries of humiliation and degradation of women:
- Sheâ€™s Beautiful When Sheâ€™s Angry
- Miss Representation
- !Women Art Revolution
- The Womenâ€™s List
- Girl Rising
5) Notice the discrimination and raise your voice against it:
Today, make a promise to let go of the toxic beliefs and treat women as equal in all aspects. Educate yourself on the various microaggressions that a girl/woman has to face daily. Inform others about these and raise awareness against the rampant sexism. Raise your voice and support women in their fight for equal rights and integrity.
This International Womenâ€™s Day, celebrate the girl power with Gift A Place, a unique personalized location-based gifting service. In a few simple steps, register your girlâ€™s favorite location, under her name and present her with an adorable Gift A Place memento. This is available in first-come, first-serve service, where you can frame todayâ€™s moments as tomorrowâ€™s memories. This concludes our list of tips for celebrating women's day.